Every NutriGold product is verified non-GMO either through the Non-GMO Project, North America’s premier independent verification program, or through Genetic ID Labs, one of the first laboratories to become accredited for GMO testing using a proprietary DNA extraction system and qualitative and quantitative PCR testing program. Together, these programs provide assurance that our products are manufactured with the best practices for eliminating even traces of GMOs. With NutriGold products, you enjoy the option of choosing the safest and purest supplements available.
GMOs, short for genetically modified organisms, are plants or animals that have been changed genetically. Specifically, the DNA from bacteria, viruses, or other plants and animals are cut and pasted from one organism to another, creating combinations that do not occur in nature. GMOs are a cause for concern because they have never been proven safe, and in the US manufacturers are not required to label their products as genetically modified. In fact, GMOs are approved by the FDA as safe for use in foods in the US, a recommendation that appears to be based on controversial evidence.
According to the Non-GMO Project, high-risk GM crops include alfalfa, canola, corn, cotton, papaya, soy, sugar beets, zucchini and yellow summer squash.1 GMO products are hitting the market in record numbers, and yet no significant, far-reaching study has found that GMOs are not harmful.2 However, voluntary verification and labeling of non-GMO products allows consumers peace of mind if they choose to avoid foods and products that have been genetically modified.
Check out the TOP 10 GMO OFFENDERS in dietary supplements and AVOID them when possible
|Amino Acids||Hydrogenated Oils|
|Ascorbic Acid (& other mineral ascorbates)||Magnesium Stearate|
|Artificial Colors, Flavors, Sweeteners||Soy Lecithin|
|Corn Maltodextrin||Stearic Acid (vegetable lubricant)|
|Ethanol (& other corn-derived solvents)||Synthetic Vitamin E / Mixed Tocopherols|
You may find products that have been labeled “GMO free.” That claim is not legally or scientifically defensible because the risk of contamination is high, and there are limitations to testing for GMOs. Products can be verified “non-GMO” by trustworthy, transparent, independent organizations such as the Non-GMO Project, which assures that certified products are manufactured with the best practices for eliminating all traces of GMOs.
Every NutriGold product is verified non-GMO through one of the two independent, verification programs:
- Non-GMO Project: North America’s premier independent verification program. The verification process involves tracing the ingredients through the entire manufacturing process from the seeds that are planted, to the fields where the crops are grown, to the finished product. This rigorous vetting process ensures against GMO contamination at any point along the way.
- Genetic ID Labs: One of the first laboratories to become accredited for GMO testing using a proprietary DNA extraction system and qualitative and quantitative PCR testing program.
Together, these programs provide assurance that our products are manufactured with the best practices for eliminating all traces of GMOs.
When you see the Non-GMO verification seal, you know that product has gone through an extensive substantiation process. The process includes supply chain verification of all ingredients used in the finished product and the testing of at-risk ingredients when necessary.
NutriGold currently has the 3rd highest number of Non-GMO Project verified products. Twelve NutriGold products are the ONLY Non-GMO Project verified products in their categories:
- 5-HTP GOLD
- 7-Keto GOLD
- Astaxanthin GOLD
- Folate GOLD
- Forskolin GOLD
- Garcinia Cambogia GOLD
- Green Tea GOLD
- Gymnema GOLD
- Hawthorn GOLD
- Krill GOLD
- Meratrim GOLD
- Saw Palmetto GOLD
Genetic ID Labs
Although most NutriGold products are verified through the Non-GMO Project, certain products do not have Non-GMO Project verification for the following reasons:
- Softgel products: NutriGold products that are encapsulated using gelatin are not eligible for verification through the Non-GMO Project because the Non-GMO Project does not, as yet, have a standard for verifying softgels, so the following softgel products are verified through Genetic ID labs instead:
- CoQ10 GOLD
- DHA GOLD
- Double Strength Omega-3 GOLD
- Omega-3 + CoQ10 + D3 GOLD
- Omega 3-6-7-9 GOLD
- Triglyceride Omega-3 GOLD
- Triple Strength Omega-3 GOLD
- Vitamin D3 GOLD
- Vitamin E GOLD
- Products with proprietary ingredients: Some NutriGold products feature ingredients manufactured using proprietary processes, details of which cannot be disclosed to the Non-GMO Project; without this information, the product cannot be verified non-GMO. The following products with proprietary ingredients are verified through Genetic ID labs:
- Organic Red Yeast Rice + CoQ10 GOLD
- Ubiquinol GOLD
- Extended lead times for verification: The current lead time to get a product verified through the Non-GMO Project, even one with low-risk ingredients, is 6 to 12 months. Because of time constraints and despite being eligible for verification through the Non-GMO Project, some of our products still do not have this verification. The following products have been verified by Genetic ID labs and are pending verification by the Non-GMO Project:
- K2 + D3 GOLD
- SAMe GOLD
- Vitamin K2 (as MK-7) GOLD
Products not verified through the Non-GMO Project, regardless of the reason, are verified through qualitative and quantitative PCR testing with Genetic ID Labs, which is one of the first laboratories to become accredited for GMO testing. Real-time PCR testing involves directly analyzing the DNA of the product to detect the presence of all commercialized GMOs, even in low concentrations. Qualitative tests will show if GMOs are detected or not detected at 0.01%. If a GMO is detected, a quantitative test will be performed to determine the actual % of GMO present. Genetic ID Labs uses a proprietary DNA extraction system to conduct their PCR testing and perform duplicate analyses of each sample to mitigate testing errors.
Genetic ID Labs has developed a set of external standards with known GMO composition, as well as negative controls with no GMO contamination, to use as reference points when analyzing samples. This allows them to determine verifiable concentration levels of genetically modified material in each sample.Click here to browse NutriGold’s non-GMO products
- “What is GMO?” Non-GMO Project, accessed October 14, 2015.
- “The Hype and Hoopla Over GMOs, Part 1: Welcome to the Future,” Cheri Pray Earl, The NutriGold Blog, October 6, 2015.